SCV Camp 1399 Restores Means Cemetery in Elko, Georgia
As the photos below will show, a lot was accomplished in a few hours Saturday, February 12, 2005.
Last fall, a descendant of Matthew Harvey Means contacted SCV Camp 1399 seeking assistance in clearing and restoring an overgrown cemetery in Elko, GA (south of Perry and east of Hawkinsville). In a word, this cemetery was a thicket of briars, vines, privet hedge and various hardwood saplings. It is situated between two homes on a rural road in Houston County and surrounded by farms and pecan orchards. There is a three-way stop at the "T" intersection of Pine Street and Ellis Road. Passersby will now notice a cemetery with a wrought iron fence where only a green thicket was visible before.
The cemetery contains the marked graves of two Confederate Veterans and we believe two others that are not yet marked. Once confirmed, we'll order markers for the other two graves.
In all thirteen members of Camp 1399 and three others came together. The once overgrown cemetery is now in much better shape and if the neighboring landowners agree, we'll make further repairs to restore the wrought iron gate and fence and return to defoliate any new growth in the future. The cut sapling stumps were sprayed with a chemical to prevent re-sprouting.
The weather was made to order for our task...we started with a brisk 36 degrees, but it warmed up quickly. Thanks to the volunteers. Present were Marcus Fields, Russ Huffman, Ricky Smith, Ray Cape, A.O. Smith, Commander Gary Hudgens, John Thigpen, Lt. Commander Randy Wilson, Chris Day, Skeet Chapman and his grandson, Ben Lowery, Walter Duckwork, Steve Scroggins and bringing the chipper were Bob Ryder and Keith Smith.
Click the thumbnails below to see larger versions. Photos by Steve Scroggins.
Story posted online at http://georgiaheritagecouncil.org/site2/news/SCVelko021205.phtml